Dealing with discomfort of mostly unsure understanding
Discomforts power their own gains. Gravity is an unseen force we are living in like a soup that is so all around us. We not only cannot see it but it is hard to notice it at all.
When Newton conceived gravity he, I understand, proved it by also inventing calculus.
"Calculus, originally called infinitesimal calculus or "the calculus of infinitesimals", is the mathematical study of continuous change, in the same way that geometry is the study of shape and algebra is the study of generalizations of arithmetic operations."
When I understood this I mostly understood I was over my head but it was also clear Newton was dealing with the unseen. And this made most of Newton's science colleagues uncomfortable because it suggested psychic forces of the unseen. This they did not envision as part of science. I think of it as the physical sciences of the proved. (I like my words to be loaded up.)
So Newton was smart alright. He made a fortune in the petunia panic. Then when petunias went back up he went back in and he lost out, I don't how much. But it seems he lived well nevertheless.
The explanations quoted above describing all this arithmetic seem to me to be beyond numbers. Reducing understanding to numbers does not seem to me to best way to describe or understand the forces themselves. I am writing words representing subjects and actions which are the predicates. So we have words and we have numbers. So how did numbers get in the world of words? At one time in the past before calculators it was suggested to me forty was not mathematically forty so much as just the idea of a long time.
Primary idea discomforting me here is that generally no one seemed to understand the unseen spirit within us until Jesus came on the scene. Then Newton comes up with unseen forces of gravity no one conceived of before and only his colleagues noticed.
Meanwhile science dealing with proof was suddenly made aware of a shaking underneath their feet. Faith is the unseen suggesting itself more clearly on the scene with power previously undefined. Looks like I haven't baked this cake yet.....

No comments:
Post a Comment